Friday, July 18, 2008

Craving broccoli

This afternoon I started craving broccoli. Not just any broccoli though – I wanted it with an Asian-style peanut sauce. I found this recipe earlier this year in Vegetarian Times, and have made it several times. It’s easy and includes two of my favorite things – peanut butter and vegetables. What could be better?

Starting with a fresh head of broccoli we found yesterday at Jamison’s Orchard, I cut some pieces off and dropped them in a pot of boiling water for about two minutes. These went into a bowl of ice water until the dip was ready:

Whisk together 1 cup peanut butter and 1 cup hot water. Then add: ¼ cup chopped cilantro 3 Tbs. sugar, 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce, 2 tsp. cider vinegar, 2 cloves minced garlic, a pinch of cayenne pepper (or more), and salt to taste. And that’s all there is to it.

Besides broccoli, it’s great with bell peppers and snap or snow peas. I think I also used it with noodles once too.

Once you’ve tried it you might crave broccoli too. And that doesn’t happen to many people.

No comments: