Monday, August 25, 2008

El Bows, penne, bow-ties and more

We ventured across campus last night to Festival, because my friend, an RA, is already tired of D-hall. My friends went for the usual - salad or Cranberry Farms, but when I saw the new El Bows in the former location of the Asian place, I knew that I had to try it.

The menu looked promising - different styles of pasta cooked-to-order with sauces and fresh vegetables. I was torn choosing what to order: Japanese Pan Noodles with a sweet sesame sauce topped with sesame seeds? Pasta Fresca made with bow-ties, tomatoes, spinach, a balsamic vinaigrette and feta? Traditional macaroni and cheese? Pad Thai with peanuts, bean sprouts and lime? So many choices - I'll try to taste them all in the coming weeks and months.

I finally chose Penne Rosa, a combination of penne (ask for whole wheat!), tomato cream sauce, spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms, topped with grated Parmesan cheese. Since many of the other students in line ordered this, I figured it would be good.

And it was. I loved having all the liberal amounts of fresh vegetables mixed in with the pasta - it reminded me of how I usually cook noodles at home. I basically devoured the whole container...

I was hungry after waiting in line for at least 20 minutes! The one problem with El Bows was the wait - since they do prepare each dish as it's ordered, the wait-time is long. MThe line also wrapped back-and-forth with other students curious about their new food choice. y friends had already finished with their meals as I finally sprinted to our table. I would recommend trying it out at an off-time when the line is shorter.

At least it's better than the pasta at Dukes - try it now and let me know what you think!

No comments: