Thursday, August 21, 2008

summer's over...time for campus food

Tomorrow my summer officially ends. After packing up the mini-van and my Camry, my dad and I will drive up 81 to Harrisonburg. I'll begin my sophomore year with a smaller room, more stuff, and a longing for the fresh foods back home.

For my last dinner at home for the summer, we made grilled pizzas. One of my favorite meals, they are easy and fun to make. Simply grill pizza dough till mostly done on one side, then flip and grill the other side just till is sets up. Top the more-cooked side with anything, then put back on the grill until the cheese melts. Tonight's toppings included tomato sauce or garlic oil, zucchini (of course!), tomatoes, basil and cheese - in various combinations.

It's meals like this that I miss.

Will the food really be that bad at school? I don't know. Last year, it was often hit-or-miss, though JMU's food is often cited with an impressive #3 ranking (compared to what schools? and how do they make these rankings? and who does them?). Anyways, it didn't seem that bad last year - even for a vegetarian, I had several favorites. Yet, after being home to cook good food all summer, I don't want to have all my food prepared for me at school. Living on-campus requires me to have a meal plan - I would rather have the option of buying fresh items and then cooking with friends in the dorm.

But since I can't do that until next year when I move off campus, I'll have to deal with what I'm served this year. Maybe it really won't be as bad as I think.

Here are some of my favorite meals that I found last year at JMU's more than 15 dining locations (and I can't remember all the names!):

*Top Dog: Asian salad, salads from the panini place, or the tofu panini

*Festival: the salad place, bread from Cranberry Farms, egg & veggies from the breakfast place

*Market One: the wraps are good, and so is Sbarro

*Dukes: the peanut butter place!

*D-hall: the veggie station's make-your-own stir-fry, brunch tater tots, or salad

*Einstein Bros. Bagels: yum! always a good time to treat yourself to a sweet bagel!

*Mrs. Greens: salad of course, and delicious bread!

What are some of your favorite things to eat on campus? Do you think JMU deserves its #3 ranking? Leave a comment and let me know what you think!!

No comments: